My idea is...

Pedestrianise The Shore

If we pedestrianise The Shore we'd create a great public space by the water, that would be attractive to locals and vistors alike. It would also help to make a traffic free link from the Foot of the Walk to Ocean Terminal.

670 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    We Love LeithAdminWe Love Leith (Admin, We Love Leith) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • pairbspairbs commented  · 

I am all for a reduction in traffic, but the Shore is so busy at the moment because people havent gotten back into the habit of using Constitution Street. Even Lothian kept the number 16 coming down the Shore for about 3 months after Constitution Street reopened. And now theres the closure of the East side of Ocean Drive, which has hundreds more people coming along Commercial Street in search of Ocean Terminal.

A big part of the reason the Shore is so popular is free parking. I know this because I know how often our residents only parking is taken up by visitors to the restaurants. If this is removed there is no guarantee the Shore will be successful, look at Leith Walk throughout the trams project - the reason people come to the Shore is because its nice but its also easy to get to.

I'm afraid I have never heard of the Friends of the Water of Leith Basin, but i have heard of the Friends of the Water of Leith, which, since it runs from Balerno to the Shore, would strike me as highly coincidental if they all lived on the Shore.

Its all very well saying residents will be consulted, but they were not consulted as a pat of the Scotsman article, nor were they consulted prior to the Car Free Day, we just found a notice in our stair telling us it was happening. So you can understand why myself and my neighbours are getting a bit peeved with people deciding what to do on our street for the good of local tourism.

• We Love LeithAdminWe Love Leith (Admin, We Love Leith) commented  · 

@pairbs I don't think anyone is proposing to "cut-off" local residents from their private, off-street parking places. Indeed, in the Evening News article, Greener Leith calls for a range of options to be looked at - and we'd like to see more detailed consultation with local residents before any final decision is made.

However, from what we gather the Friends of the Water of Leith Basin - which is entirely comprised of residents who live on and around the Shore are keen to see traffic reduced on the street. So, local people are very much involved in the decision making.

Seame 13, I left that comment in October last year, Constitution Street was still shut!

The reason they want to pedestrianise the Shore is to allow the bars and restaurants to use it, so theyre not going to go for pedestrianising the rat runs instead.

It was in the Scotsman today, i am getting so annoyed with people who dont actually live on the Shore itself deciding its fate! Yes it would look pretty, but what about the people who bought houses so they could live on a main street with great parking, not in the Grassmarket!

• seame13seame13 commented  · 

"there will be less vehicles on the Shore once Constitution Street is reopened!!"

Oh , it has been re opened since before Christmas , I have not noticed any difference, the 36 and 16 are still using the shore , and henderson gardens. So are the commuters who use Shore,Henderson and Cables Wynd as a rat run through to Great Junction Street by Tesco's.Why not just pedestrianise the whole area between Bernard Streete,Constitution and Great Junction Streets and Water of Leith This would be simple just block one end of Henderson ,Tolbooth and Maritime, and one end of Cables Wynd,Mill Lane and The Shore, add a few traffic calming measures , residence have access but the roads would go nowhere , that would eliminate 90% of the traffic.
        Of course it may be unacceptable to then walk 100 yards to a bus stop, or having to drive another 500 yards to get home?

A lovely idea in principle but what about the people who live on the Shore? Ignoring the large amount of free on street car parking which is used by residents that this will remove, there are a number of private car parking areas, including mine, which can only be accessed via the Shore. So youre going to ban us from accessing our own land then?

Stewartypie, there will be less vehicles on the Shore once Constitution Street is reopened!!

• stewartypiestewartypie commented  · 

must be the most scary bit of road to cycle on!! if you go behind the crash barrier, you get in the way of pedestrians and if you stay on the road, you take your life in your hands, being the jam in a bus sandwich is not my idea of fun. Traffic needs switching away from here as its too much and too fast.

Feedback and Knowledge Base