My idea is...

Constitution St - bike alternative when tram comes

Constitution St will close to all traffic including bikes when the tram comes - and the tramlines will be close to the pavement so cycling will be dodgy anyway unless you've very wide tyres. A good alternative would be via the shopping centre, with a well-designed connection from the foot of the Walk.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tparnelltparnell commented  · 

Umm, whilst Constitution St may well be closing to most vehicular traffic, the current plans show a one-way bus lane... And bikes and pedestrians will be allowed too. I don't know where people are getting the idea that trams require exclusive use of the ground they run on from - trams are not the same as Intercity 125s!

When trams are 'on street' they are perfectly compatible with cyclists - even more so than buses and cars. It's only when they are running 'off street', at higher speed, that separate provision for cyclists and pedestrians is required. Just look at any other European cities where trams weave their way through pedestrians and cyclists without a problem. All this nonsense about getting stuck in the tram lines is really a misnomer, drummed up by the anti-tram brigade - I've never heard of it happening with any other tram system. Cycling through a pedestrianised shopping centre would be a bit silly, no?!

Feedback and Knowledge Base